Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cupcakes!

Tonight I am going to a birthday party. My friend's Mimi and Mary are having a girly party (No boys allowed!) and they asked me to make the cake. Mimi loves Black Forest cake so I knew immediately what flavour cake I was going to make. But the thought of transporting a huge layer cake was sketching me out a little. Enter the cupcakes.
I love making Black Forest cake. I never use pie filling. I make everything from scratch. And I use real whipped cream. And lots of liquor.
I decided to bake the liquor soaked cherries right into the cupcakes rather than digging a hole into the cupcake and filling it with cherries. This recipe is a amalgamation of many recipes. Hope you like it!

Black Forest Cupcakes

Cherries:

2 14 oz. cans sour cherries, drained
1/4 c. kirsch

Put cherries and kirsch into a container with a lid and gently swirl the cherries around in the liquor. Put in the fridge for a few hours or even overnight.

Cake:
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

-Sift all these ingredients together and set aside.

3/4 c. butter, softened
2 1/4 c. sugar

-Cream together until light and fluffy then beat in:

3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Now alternately add dry ingredients with :

2 c. buttermilk

Mix until everything is just incorporated.
Preheat over to 350 F. Line 24 muffin tins with papers. Remove cherries from the fridge and strain liquid off. Keep this liquid!

Fill each paper cup half way with cake batter. Drop 3 or 4 cherries on top of batter and then continue to fill the cupcake papers just shy of the top of the paper.
Bake for 20 min. or until cake tester comes out with no crumbs attached.
Cool completely.
When the cupcakes are cooled, poke a few holes in the top and drizzle reserve cherry/kirsch liquid over all of the cupcakes. Let it soak in.


Kirsch Whipped Cream

2 c. whipping cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. kirsch

Beat all ingredients together until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe on top of cupcakes.
Garnish each cupcake with a cherry (if you have any left over. I did.) and chocolate curls or sprinkles.

Enjoy!

Makes 26 cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment