Monday, February 18, 2013

Sewn - Tunic

In the fall I was gifted some amazing fabrics.  Like designer fabrics.  Wools, alpaca and camel.  Yum.  I have them all paired up with patterns - coat and jacket for me, a dress shirt for the Mister, a shirt for Lil'G and a tunic for her as well.
The tunic is made from a pattern by Figgy's from Portland, OR. and was a delight to work with.  Holy stylish details!  The fabric was another story entirely.  It all began with laying out the pattern, as it usually does.  The fabric is a tweed from Chanel (!!!) and is absolutely stunning.  The colour leaves something to be desired....


Now, this fabric has a very definite plaid pattern.  I tried laying this out in a single layer hoping that I would have nice straight vertical lines that matched up.  Nope.  I tried again with it doubled up.  Nope.  This fabric had a mind of its own, shimmying and slithering all over the place.  You wouldn't think a wool could do that but yes, it can.  I finally got the pieces cut out and went to begin sewing.  Not only does this fabric wiggle all over the place, the pieces were completely stretching out of shape.  Argh!  I almost decided to say forget it and find some new fabric.  Almost. 


The tunic is unlined.  The fabric is a nightmare woven loosely and really needs a lining.  I ended up interlining it with a pink cotton I had and saved this tunic from the garbage.   The pattern says a wool can be used but I found that with the interlining the seams became very bulky.  I ended up serging the allowances wherever I could.  For the hems I was to turn under 1/4" then turn under 1" and stitch.  Too bulky so I just serged the edge, turned under the inch and stitched the hem.  It isn't the nicest finish but I did what I had to.

 

I am especially fond of the side panels that I cut on the bias....

 

The plaid does not match up at the back seam and is nowhere near straight but Lil'G loves it.  In the end that is all that matters to me.  She is especially smitten with the pockets.

 

I ended up making the size 4/5 for the width and using the 6/7 for the length since Lil'G is so tall and skinny. 
It is a dress on her right now but the way she has been growing it will be a tunic in no time. 

Cutie. 
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment