Monday, December 19, 2011

Holiday Treats - Day 3

Let me just start this post out by saying I have never been a fan of fruitcake.  I actually find it kind of gross. And then I found this recipe.  I read through it sceptically and almost didn't try it.  But then I thought, "Something with that much booze in it couldn't possibly be that bad...."  So I made it. And it was delicious.
The recipe is from an Everyday Food magazine (thank you, Martha!).  A very simple recipe to make.  You don't like fruitcake?  Give it a go, you might change your mind. 

Fruitcake Bars
Recipe from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine
Soundtrack - Hank Williams

1 c. brandy
5 c. dried fruit, coarsely chopped (I used apricots, cranberries, dates, golden raisins and pineapple)

2 c. all purpose flour

1 c. butter, room temperature
2 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla


Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 13x9 pan.  Line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides.  Grease the parchment and set aside. 

 
*One year I neglected to do this.  I was sorry I didn't.  Even though I had greased the pan very well, I still couldn't get the bars out of the pan.  Don't skip this step. 

In a medium saucepan, heat the brandy until simmering.  Remove from heat and stir in fruit; cool to room temp.  Stir 1 c. of flour into the brandied fruit mixture; set aside.  
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Mix in vanilla.  Add remaining flour and mix until just combined.  Fold in fruit mixture; transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top.  

Bake for 45-50min.  or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 1 hour.  Using paper overhang, lift out of pan; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (still on paper).  Invert fruitcake, peel off paper and with a serrated knife cut into 24 pieces. Dust with icing sugar if desired.  

   Hope you enjoy these! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment