Saturday, May 19, 2012

Making

I did a little sewing today.  It has been way too long since I sat down in front of my machine and made something.  I cannot let that much time pass again! 
I made a simple little summer skirt for Lil'G. 

 

The fabric is from a thrifted men's dress shirt that I had originally intended to turn into a maternity shirt.  Who was I kidding?  I never wear collared shirts and so it went into the to-do pile.  I pulled it out today and started cutting. 
I didn't use a pattern and I didn't take any pictures of the process - sorry.  First I cut off the sleeves.  Then I just cut the shirt under the arms, straight across the chest.  I sewed a simple casing at the waist for the elastic, inserted the elastic and hemmed the bottom.  I used an existing skirt to eyeball the length.  I also stitched closed the button band because it gaped a little.  Then I made some pockets with the fabric from one of the sleeves.

 

They are self lined, have a little pleat and a little band at the top.  Again I just eyeballed placement.  No one is ever going to notice if they aren't perfectly centered when the five year old wearing it goes whizzing past and wants to show you how her skirt twirls.  Not bad for $2.  I can't wait for her to see it!
I also finally took some pictures of another little sweater I made for the Wee Babe. 

 

It is the Coffee Bean cardigan by Elizabeth Smith.  I cannot say enough good things about this pattern.  It was so fun to knit with all the stripes!  It was so easy!  It wasn't boring even though it was all stockinette!  It was so well written! 


It turned out really sweet and I love the buttons.  I am hoping it will fit the baby in the fall. 
Have you been making anything?
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment