Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dessert

It is no secret to anyone who knows me that I love food. And dessert is one of my favourite things to make. It doesn't matter if it is cake, cookies, custard (I do love a good custard!) or pie. I don't discriminate.
I found some beautiful rhubarb yesterday and decided to pair it with some strawberries for one of the most mouth watering pies ever. I always make my own crust. It really isn't as hard as it seems. Just give it a go, you will probably be pleasantly surprised.
This recipe makes a double crust. After I trim it and gather the trimmings into a ball, I usually have enough dough for another single crust. I just wrap it and freeze it so when I feel like making a pumpkin pie, for example, I just thaw the dough and roll it out.
*After eating a piece of this pie for dessert, I feel like it could have been less tart. Always taste your berries to see how sweet they are and add sugar accordingly.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

3 c. all purpose flour (feel free to sub some whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. cold vegetable shortening, cubed
1/2 c. cold butter, cubed
1/2 c. ice cold water

Mix flour and salt together. Rub butter and shortening into flour with your fingers until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in water until dough holds together. Gently knead a few times to bring everything together. Divide into two balls and set aside in a cool place.

3 c. rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 c. strawberries, quartered
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour

Gently mix all ingredients together until rhubarb and strawberries are coated in flour and sugar. Set aside.



Now roll out the first ball of pastry. This will be your bottom crust. I just roll it into a circle-ish shape about 2-inches bigger that my pie plate. Gently place it into the pie plate and fill with rhubarb mixture.




Now roll out the second piece of dough. Before setting it on top of filling dab the edges of the bottom crust with a little water. This will help seal the two layers together. Top with top crust, trim edges almost right up to edge of pie plate and crimp together.


Cut some little vents in the top crust to let steam escape.


Bake at 425 F for 40-45 min. until filling is bubbly and crust is browned.


Cool to room temperature. Enjoy!


Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment